Thursday, August 17, 2006

Cultural Differences

So, we all remember snack time in kindergarten, right? There was milk, and cookies or something of that nature, and it was great. Well, at my job, everyday I teach an advanced kindergarten class of 5 and 6 year olds. I say advanced because they are at a very high level of proficency in English. Anyways, everyday, at 3pm, we start our conversation class off with snack time. I make the children line up outside the bathroom and they go in, two by two, and wash their hands. They have to tell me what they are doing as they do it too, part of their English usage. And then we all sit down around a table for snack time. This includes milk and some kind of snack, usually muffins or jelly sandwiches or mandu (a high treat). Things that, for the most part, you would find at snack time in an American kindergarten. Except that today, we had something a little different. And before I tell you what we had, let me tell you that my kids were more excited about this snack than anything else we have had so far. That includes muffins, cookies, cake, jelly sandwiches, and other assorted pastries. The snack du jour? Boiled sweet potatoe. The purple kind. They had been scrubbed, but all the skin was still on, and they were kind of rooty-looking. The kids grabbed them, broke them in half, and started eating them like they were candy! I proceeded to tentatively try one and found it to be delicious. But still, the thing was a squiggy root! What 5 year olds do you know that would sit down and eat a boiled creepy looking root? Anyways, goes to show further the cultural differences! I love this place!

No comments: