Friday, June 23, 2006

"Back to Immigration" or "The Lovely Man"

So, I had to make the trek back to immigration today to pick up my alien registration card. Jeesh that is a journey! And silly me, I let my vanity overrule my better judgement, and made the three hour trek in heels. I thought I would try to blend in a bit by dressing a little better than tennis shoes and jeans. The girls here are all so feminine and wear heels with everything. They are all gorgeous and wear dresses most of the time, as well. They always look so put together. I feel like the country bumpkin mouse that went to visit her little mouse cousin in the big city (you all have seen that cartoon, right? classic!). So, I put on my trendiest capris, a stylish little black stretch tee, and the Calvin Klein wedge, ankle-wrap sandals that I got before I left home. I thought I looked fairly ok. As ok as I can look, anyways. I mean, I had no illusions about competing with these girls...I didn't even think I would blend in, considering I am three (ok, mybe 4) times the size of the biggest grown girls here, but I hope to at least look passable. So, anyways, I hadn't even reached the office and my feet were hurting. And by the time I got back to my neighborhood, I was in agony, and limping along like an old woman. So much for trying to look passable! LOL! But, one highlight of the trip...I saw the most interesting man.

I was riding the train to the Immigration Office, and had finally gotten a seat on the subway (it is very crowded in the mornings), when I noticed him. First off, let me begin by saying he was a very attractive Korean man, probably about early 30s, in a suit, reading a paper. I first noticed him for his looks, but he really caught my attention when, after about 3 stops, he pulled a neatly folded hankerchief out of his pocket, mopped his brow of sweat, folded the hankerchief back up, and slipped it back into his pocket. It was probably one of the top 5 sexiest things I have ever witnessed in my life. It was just such a simple action, and you could tell he didn't even really think about it as he was doing it. It was totally a part of his routine. It was beautiful in its simplicity. So after seeing this, I started looking at him a bit closer. I was suitably impressed.

Watching him fold his kerchief, I noticed that he had lovely fingers, long and tapered, with neatly cut nails. They were the kind of fingers you would expect on a concert pianist, a sculptor, or a serious guitar player. And it seemed as though they moved seperately from the rest of the man, like he spoke with his hands so much, that he no longer even noticed his fingers moving. Z had fingers like this. The man wore no rings or other jewlery on his hands, but the delicate way they moved as he folded his kerchief back up were a decoration more brilliant than any metal could provide. He had smaller bones in his wrist, and you could see the muscles work as he moved his hands along the well worn folds of the cloth. I noticed the rest of him after he had tucked the kerchief back into his pocket.

He had a trim, athletic build, the kind you can always see to best advantage in a nice suit...which is what he was wearing. It looked tailored, as it fit his shoulders and arms perfectly, the cuff came up the perfect amount when he stretched his arm out to hold the subway handle, and it did not pull across his back at all. It was of a really fine material, I am not sure what, but it had the look of an incredibly light wool. The suit was navy blue, with what looked like lavender vertical pinstripes. He wore a soft white shirt underneath with no tie. Instead, the top button was undone. Not in a "guido" kind of way, but more as a nod to the intensely humid weather outside. The white shirt was light enough to hint at transparent, but was thick enough that the transparency was almost only an illusion. The shirt was tucked into a nice leather belt with a silver buckle, and untucked just enough to not be pulling if he sat down. He had a flat stomach to compliment his nice shoulders and arms; he really brought to mind the executive who works out on his lunch hour, or plays racketball 4 times a week. The pants of the suit fell at the perfect length as well; they hit right at the top of his arch, and were hemmed, rather than cuffed. He also had very sensible, manly black leather loafers on. All in all, the perfect business man's ensemble.

His face was equally as pleasing. A strong jaw, prominent nose, smooth skin, and moderately slanted black eyes. His hair was such that if left long, it probably had a natural wave. As he had it cut, it was full and thick on top, perfect for running fingers through, and trimmed neatly on the back and sides. It was, in typical Korean fashion, black. His eyes were very kind, and when they passed over you, there seemed to be a genuine warmth contained in their dark depths.

Last of all was his smile. As I moving towards the subway doors for my stop, he had to step aside for me, and when he did, he smiled and gave me a perfectly respectful bow of the head. His teeth were slightly crooked, but very white. And his smile was just a little off-center. It was absolutely delightful.

Ok, so, sorry I had to go all into that, but so many of you have asked me about the people here, about the differences, and my adjustment. As long as there are lovely people like this man in the world, I am at home no matter what!

I think I am going to see a movie this weekend, and maybe take in some sights, if it does not rain too much. So hopefully I will have pictures to upload next Monday! Love you all. Take care!

No comments: